Saturday, March 6, 2010

To pill or not to pill, that is the question

By pill I'm talking about oral contraceptive pills.

I actually don't have to decide if I'm going to be on the pill or not, but many women do. Being a man, I've decided to tell women how to think. (that's a joke, calm down)

But really, I was reading this blog post by Jon Acuff and in it he talks about pastors who encourage people to go out and be fruitful and multiply. Well, the Catholic Church says you can't use condoms. I can't honestly see their issue with condoms, by that logic we shouldn't also wear seatbelts because that prevents God from taking our lives in a car crash if he wants to.

I have, though, always wondered about the pill. From the little I understood (and still understand) about how the pill works, it sounds like it doesn't prevent pregnancy but rather that it aborts pregnancy.

I found this very interesting article online. I don't know if everything it says is 100% true, if it's biased on it's view of the research, or anything but it seems relatively fair handed. Read it for yourself and decide (if a medical professional wants to weigh in, please do) But, from what I understand the article concludes that there are occurrences when the pill causes abortions occasionally because it still can allow occasional ovulation and conception but prevents implantation. The article seems to be more concerned with how often this happens than that it happens at all.

But based on this, and further research, I am against the use of the pill as the sole method of contraception. It seems to me that any chance (3% to 7%) of aborting a life is too much of a chance.

If you really gotta do the dirty deed, use a condom it's the sexy equivalent of a seatbelt.

3 comments:

Phil said...

"I'm old school." - Tracy Morgan on John Stewart's Daily Show. Enough said.

Ben said...

it's not that catholics are against condom use, it's that they're against sex for pleasure, sex is meant for procreation in their minds, therefore, they must be against condom use and the pill (despite documents coming out that the catholic church invested heavily in the pill years ago and probably made a boat load of cash :P )

Ben Lee said...

i stand corrected by Mr. Mahany, my point still remains